Friday, July 12, 2013

#3 Visayan Words: Their Meaning and Usage (Feelings)

Today, I asked a group of people of some Visayan words to help me with my blog. Below are the few words used by Visayans or Bisaya that are synonymous to each other.

  1. Liar - Bakakon (from the word "bakak" meaning "lie". you can also use the visayan word "Limbunganon" (but this is closely the same from the word swindler, cheater, hoax, fraud) Example: You're such a liar is "Bakakon kaayo ka!". That woman is a cheater is "Siya usa ka limbunganon na babaye".
  2. Honest - Matinud-anon or simply add the word "dili" meaning "not" from the word "bakakon" = "dili bakakon".  Example: I wan't you to be honest with me while I'm away is "Gusto ko mag matinud-anon ka kanako bisan kita naa sa layong dapit."  Second example is "I like you 'coz you're an honest person.
  3. Happy - Malipayon or Sadya pronounced as (sad-jah). Malipayon from the word "lipay" meaning "happy" but you mas add prefix ma to make it a verb. Example: I feel so happy everytime you are here with me is "Malipayon kaayo ko kung ani-a ka permente sa akong tapad".  Second example is Let's be happy or merry! is "Magsadya kita!". There is also a cebuano word "giharian" which also means "overjoyed". 
  4. Lonely or Sad - Kaguol or Masulob-on. It's from the word "guol" meaning "sad or lonely" and "subo" meaning "lonely or sad". Example: I feel so sad everytime we fight is "Bati-on ko ug kaguol kung mag sige ta ug away". Second example is "You're a lonely type of person" when translated, it's "Ikaw usa ka masulob-on nga tawo." Note: Kaguol - feeling of loneliness while  Maguol - going to be lonely.
  5. Angry - Kasuko or Kalagot or Kaligutgot. These words are from the root word "suko", "lagot" and "gutgot" were they all means "angry, mad,  and furious".  Example for Kasuko is "Don't get  mad at me all the time" is "Ayaw sige ug kasuko permente ka nako". Second example is "Your heart is full of anger" is "Ang imong kasingkasing kay napuno ug kalagot". Third example is " Please don't hold anger to your friend" is "Palihog ayaw pagkumkom ug kaligutgot sa imohang amigo". Note here that sometimes cebuanos don't really use the word kaligutgot when you say "Please don't hold anger to your friend" 'coz when you feel mad or angry, the word hatred will also be felt upon us. So it's better if you use the word "pagdumot" from the root word "dumot" meaning "hate. Then your sentence will not become " Palihog ayaw pagkumkom ug pagdumot  sa imohang amigo". 

Disclaimer: I'm not a linguist nor a grammarian. I just want to help you guys how to use these words informally 'coz I, myself, is not an expert on the Visayan language though I'm 100% Bisaya. 
        

2 comments:

  1. Difference between gugma, higugma, and nahigugma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gugma means love, affection or romance
    higugma from the base word "gugma" meaning to love or fall in love.
    nahigugma from the base word " gugma" meaning love struck, love at first sight or suddenly fell in love.

    ReplyDelete