Tuesday, July 9, 2013

#1 Visayan Words: Their Meaning and Usage

Hey guys! I'm back! Here are some words to help you get through and understand more the language. To  make it really simple, we will mix the Visayan language with a couple of english words. Let's try using one word at a time and we'll build up.

Also, please do make a comment and make some interactions with me so I will have the chance to know all of you and what you all want to learn in my future post. Love ya!!!

  1. Dirty - Hugaw (e.g. Don't eat that! It's Hugaw!)
  2. Limpyo - Clean (e.g. This house is very limpyo!)
  3. Cold - Bugnaw (e.g. I love this place. It's bugnaw or I want to eat something bugnaw.)
  4. Init - Hot (e.g. Today's weather is kinda' init or I want to drink something init to help me at ease)
  5. Kapoy - Tired  (e.g. I don't want to go out tonight. I'm feeling kapoy.)
  6. Kanta - Sing (e.g. I love to kanta for you.)
  7. Sayaw - Dance (e.g. I want to sayaw in this beat or Please sayaw with me.)
  8. Gutom - Hungry (e.g. I want to eat something. I feel so gutom already or Gutom na ka? (are u hungry?)
  9. Hugas - Wash (e.g. Please do hugas your hugaw (dirty) feet before you enter my room.)
  10. Ligo - bath (e.g. Don't ligo in that bathroom, there's no shower in there.)

For Visayans like me, if you talk like this and you're not even a foreigner, we call them "Inglisera", "Pasosyal"and "Arte". People will judge you that you are acting so weird. But if you're a foreigner, we really appreciate it if you can speak a little of our language even if it's just one word. 


*Inglisera - people who love to boast that they have english speaking tongue.
*Pasosyal - people who love to show off that they're from a rich family.
*Arte - people who irritates you much 'coz they're just overacting.

You must also notice that these kind of people are pronouncing the Visayan word way over the top. Try googling Kris Aquino to get an idea how this kind of people sounds like when they're talking. Though for some, they perceived her voice as "malambing" - a tagalog word means sweet. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, what does saakong mean? And what does dos-mil kartose mean? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sa akong means to myself...example: sa akong hunahuna (to my mind)
    dos mil katorse means - 2014 DOS means 2, MIL is thousand, KATORSE means 14 .

    ReplyDelete